How to Position Your Nonprofit Organization for a Big Bet
What is Your Important Problem?
Do you have a compelling, succinct articulation of needs facing a specific, under-served population?
Where is Your Point of Arrival?
Do you have a concrete 5–10 year goal that lies between long-term vision and short-term goals?
Can You Describe a Credible Path?
What is your set of capabilities, plans, and reasons to believe that your organization can achieve its goals?
Why Do You Need Philanthropy?
What is your clear articulation of why philanthropic resources are the right medium to achieve your point of arrival?
Do You Have a Strong Leader & Team?
Does your team have deep knowledge of (ideally proximity to) the issue at hand and/or a track record of success in addressing these challenges?
Download the Tool
You can download the toolkit here.
More about Becoming Big Bettable
- Read our Stanford Social Innovation Review article on "Unleashing Big Bets for Social Change" or download the PDF.
- Learn more about 15 of the most successful big bets in history from our "Audacious Philanthropy" case studies.
More about Big Bets for Philanthropy
- Read our original article on philanthropic big bets, "Making Big Bets for Social Change."
- Explore opportunities for big bets to increase economic mobility in "Billion Dollar Bets" to Create Economic Opportunity for Every American."
- Take advantage of other big bets material from our "Big Bet Resource Center."
Bridgespan's William Foster discusses big bets at TEDxBeaconStreet